For much of the 20th century, basements were nothing more than cold, dark places used for extra storage. That was until homeowners realized the benefits of converting all that extra space into something useful like game rooms, home theaters, extra bedrooms, and more!
After kitchen and bathroom remodels, basement remodels are one of the most popular ways to update the look and functionality of your Portland home. If you’re running out of space, a basement remodel is a great way to make use of the square-footage you already have.
In addition to finishing basement spaces, Olson & Jones has many years of experience treating water intrusion issues. Does your basement flood or seep water from the walls? We can sniff out the source and provide a solution to keep your living space dry.
Things to consider when remodeling your basement:
- Water intrusion issues need to be solved before finishing the space
- Egress windows will need to be dug for any added bedrooms
- Repair or upgrade exposed ductwork, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical systems
- Take advantage of a seismic retrofit to improve your home’s earthquake resistance
Designing a Basement Remodel
Every project, no matter how small, has a design phase. Whether it’s talking with someone in an orange apron at a big box store or hiring an architect and designer, you will have some design work to do. Proper design is necessary for a successful outcome and ensures accurate proposals for cost and schedule.
Do I need a designer?
These are a few clues that you might need to work with a designer along with our Construction Management Team.
- Adding, removing, or changing foundations
- Moving or removing interior bearing walls
- Any changes in the footprint of the home (additions, dormers, etc)
- Your remodel will involve selecting multiple finishes, such as tile, granite, flooring, paint, molding, light fixtures, etc.